Tuesday, January 22, 2013

56 day challenge - week 1

Thursday will mark the end of the first week of the challenge. It's going pretty well so far. I think I'll be down 0.5 kg by Thursday. The resistance workouts are great though I'm still figuring out the moves, reps, weights, and stuff. I'm being extra careful with new exercises in order to avoid injury (that would be BAD). I think I went too heavy this first week with all the excitement and will go a little light next week to make sure I keep good form and get more reps under my belt.

The diet takes some getting used to...meat & nuts breakfast is definitely an acquired taste and kinda takes its toll on my family. I realized that you need a good support system when attempting something like this challenge. You need to have the closets people on your side, otherwise, you'll just annoy the hell out of them, end up fighting with them, and that will just lead to frustration, anger, and overall bad vibes.

My wife, Gila, has been amazing when it comes to support. Gila is a vegetarian and for her to wake up to the smell of raw animals cooking on the grill and then have to sit through breakfast with two patties of minced meat looking at her is not easy...and that's probably the understatement of the year. Nevertheless, Gila has my back and besides asking me to open a window when I'm doing my grilling, she still smiles at me every morning with her bowl of cereal or oats. Being on a special diet is difficult because food is such a social activity and breakfast as well as dinner are is when we come together as a family and discuss the activities of the day. At these meals, it's nicer when everyone is eating the same thing...like, for example, we make a pot of oats and have that together for breakfast. Suddenly, I have to eat minced meat patties and be the odd ball...

Anyway, I'm enjoying the fact that I'm eating clean...no sugars, no processed fats, etc...only wholesome, healthy food. I think that in the long run that's the key to success...no drastic diets or BIG changes, just trying to live a clean & healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment